The Battalion. (College Station, Tex.) 1893-current, August 08, 1968, Image 14

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

    Pane (i
College Station, Texas
Thursday, August 8, 1968
A&M Leader In SWC History
A&M football began in 1893
when the Aggies fielded a team
but played no games with out-of-
town teams.
In 1894 the Aggies, then known
as the Farmers, played road
games including the first of the
traditional battles with the Uni
versity of Texas, then known as
the Varsity.
The late Dean Emeritus Charles
Puryear, who had joined the facul
ty in 1888, was the first manager
and one of those responsible for
football being established at the
college. A&M played no out-of-
town games in 1895 but resumed
a schedule in 1896 and have con
tinued to do so ever since.
The first undefeated season was
in 1902, a year in which the Ca
dets won seven and tied two.
A&M also was champion of Texas
in 1909 and 1910, but in 1910
there was a loss to Arkansas, and
TCU held in 1909 team to a score
less tie. The 1912 team was hailed
as “Champion of the South” in
spite of a loss to Kansas State.
A&M was a member of the Tex
as Intercollegiate Athletic Asso
ciation until the Southwest Ath
letic Conference was formed in
1914 and is a remaining charter
member of that organization
along with Texas, Arkansas, Rice
University, Texas Tech and Bay
The Aggfes have won the SWC
Championship nine times outright
and tied with SMU another. A&M
won the title in 1917, 1919, 1921,
1925, 1939, tied in 1940, won again
in 1941, 1956, and 1967. The 1939
Aggie team was National Cham
pions and defeated Tulane in the
Sugar Bowl Classic.
— Listen to Lou —
Save Like Upper Classmen Do .... Take Advantage of the
Largest Stock of Used Textbooks
Accumulated through the satisfaction Texas Aggies have with our USED BOOK
RENTAL POLICY. AH texts on official university booklist.
Ask An Upper Classman - Or An Aggie-Ex - He’ll Tell You About
North Gate
A record number of 53,175 fans jammed New Kyle Field on “Turkey Day ’67” to watch
the Ag-gies beat Texas, 10-7. The victory also won A&M the Southwest Conference foot
ball title. Nearly 6,000 of the spectators were on the track in temporary seats. The Sta
dium, now completed, will seat 48,000 in the permanent seats.
18 Athletes Now Make Up Hall Of Fame
On Oct. 16, 1964, the A&M
Athletic Hall of Fame was in-
augrated. The Hall of Fame now
contains 18 honorees who were
recognized for the great contri
butions to sports activities at Ag-
The 1964 honorees include:
Frank G. (Col. Andy) Anderson,
trgck coach at A&M for 25 sea
sons; Joel Hunt, All-SWC back
at A&M during the 1925-27 era
who set a still-existing SWC
scoring record of 128 points his
senior year; and Joseph E. Routt,
two time all-America guard (1936-
37) who was killed in action dur
ing the Battle of the Bulge in
Also included in the 1964 list
are John Kimbrough, two-time
all-America fullback and Bill
(Jitterbug) Henderson, the most
versitile A&M athlete who won a
total of 11 varsity letters in five
In 1965 five more Aggies were
added to the Hall of Fame: Hom
er Norton, A&M coach who led
the Aggies to the 1939 national
championship; Jack Mahan, cap
tain and fullback of the 1920 Ag
gies and an Olympian in track;
Tyree Bell, football stalwart who
captained the Aggies in 1912 and
again in 1914; Walt (Buddy)
Davis, basketball and track star
who won the Olympic high jump
in 1952 and Darrow Hooper, foot
ball and trackman who was shot
put runner-up in 1952 Olympic
1966 saw four more members
added: Dana X. Bible, A&M
coach who produced five cham
pionship teams in football and
three in basketball; Dick Todd,
broken field runner at A&M who
went on to pro fame with the
Washington Redskins; Joe M.
Boyd, co-captain of the 1939 na
tional champion football team and
an all-America tackle the same
year and Arthur H. Hamden, all-
America trackman who won a
gold medal in the 1948 Olympics
as a member of the winning 1600-
meter relay team.
Four more athetes were added
in 1967: Caesar (Dutch) Hok,
1912 captain of the football team
and all-Southern in three posi
tions, won three baseball letters;
J. V. (Siki) Sikes, three-sport
star — football basketball and
baseball — was all-SWC end in
1927, captain of basketball team
and was all-SWC in baseball;
W. N. (Uncle Bill) James, A&H
football line coach 1935-48 who
produced three all-Americas and
16 all-SWC linemen and W. W,
(Wally) Moon, who won two base
ball and two basketball letters,
also was all-SWC outfielder in
1950 and went on to the major
leagues where he played in the
1959 World Series.
Read Battalion Classifieds
-Military Insignias - Caps - Belts - Ties-
We Maintain An Experienced Alteration Department. Bring Us Your Own Personal Clothing Or Your Issue Uni
forms For Alterations And Patch Sewing. We Alter Both Military Or Civilian Clothing.
Uniform Tailors
Second Generation of Tailors
105 N. Main, North Gate