The copyright status of The Battalion ranges from the public domain (from the earliest issues through 1963) to more recent items still in copyright. The issues made available here were digitized from Texas A&M University Libraries’ physical holdings. While Texas A&M University is the publisher and copyright holder for this newspaper as a title, the collective content presentation from authors not affiliated with Texas A&M University is covered by the Supreme Court decision New York Times Co. vs. Tasini,which clarifies that online newspapers presented in context, with the full page formatting intact, are acceptable, while individual, article-by-article presentation is not. The written permission of any copyright and other rights holders is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use that extends beyond what is authorized by fair use and other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The Texas A&M University Newspaper Collection offers a window into student life and campus happenings at Texas A&M. The newspapers provide a first-hand account of events that impacted student life which occurred on campus as well as from around the world.
The first newspaper produced by Texas A&M was the Texas Collegiate which ran from 1876-1880 under the direction of the Stephen F. Austin and Calliopean Literary Societies. Another newspaper was not produced until 1889, which went by the name The College Journal, and was published monthly until 1893 by the Stephen F. Austin and Calliopean Literary Societies. The Battalion started production in 1893 as a monthly publication by the Stephen F. Austin and Calliopean Literary Societies until 1906 when publication was taken over by the Student Association. The Battalion is the longest running student newspaper at Texas A&M, having been continuously published since 1893 with the exception for a short period in 1918 during World War I. From 1947-1951 freshmen housed at the Annex (Riverside/RELLIS) produced a newspaper called The Little Battalion. The Daily Bulletin began publication in 1916 by the Publicity Department of the College. From 1918-1919 it ran under the name Reveille before switching back to The Daily Bulletin in 1919 and ceased publication in 1938.